Visiting the Oakley Farm Spotsylvania Courthouse is a great way to learn about American history and culture. This historic landmark is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The National Park Service has also helped preserve this historic location. Read on to find out more.
National Register of Historic Places
Located in Spotsylvania Courthouse, VA, Oakley Farm is a historic plantation owned by the Beals family. This property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
Oakley Farm has been owned by three families over the past 200 years. It is one of the original farms in the Warm Springs Valley. It is situated on a karst layer of exposed limestone. The property is also near several major Civil War battles.
The plantation was built in 1828 in Federal/Georgian style. The Beals family has owned it since then. In 2005, the plantation contained nearly 2,000 acres (810 ha).
The property is listed under historical landmark. It is also listed under historic district. The county approved the demolition of non-historic farm buildings surrounding the property. However, local historians were outraged that the structure was demolished without warning.
The Spotsylvania Historical Association was responsible for spearheading a drive to gather information from property owners. They worked to secure information for the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of American Folklore
Among the many landmarks in Spotsylvania County, one of the most significant is the Oakley Farm. The home was built in 1828 by Samuel Alsop, Jr. It is a Federal-Georgian-style structure and was originally a barn, but later served as a residence. The house is now part of a larger working farm, and has been designated a National Register of American Folklore site.
In addition to being a historical landmark, the Oakley is also a wildlife management area. The Oakley Forest Wildlife Management Area is 2,911 acres in size and is located west of Todd’s Tavern. It includes small areas of open fields, as well as areas with mosaics of upland mixed hardwood and pine forests. The area is managed by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Funds for the program are provided by federal excise taxes.
The Oakley farm is one of the oldest in Spotsylvania County. During the late 19th century, it was owned by Lucius Estes and his family. Lucius was a former vinegar distiller who brought a dozen fine horses with him. Learn More about Louisa here.
National Trust for Historic Preservation
Several of Spotsylvania County’s historic sites are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. These properties include the Bowman Center, also known as the Sylvania Plant Historic District. The building was built in 1828 by Samuel Alsop, Jr. and is in the Federal/Georgian style. It is also listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register.
Another historic site is the Salem Church. It was built in the late 18th century and has been described as a failure by preservationists.
The Historic Preservation Commission of Spotsylvania County has been established to oversee the review and alteration of properties in order to preserve the historic character of the county. The Commission has designated eight historic sites and eight historic districts. The Commission also encourages sensitive rehabilitation of historic structures.
The Preservation Foundation of Spotsylvania County was founded in 1988. The organization’s mission is to protect historic sites and resources and to encourage the preservation of architecture and engineering. The organization also provides insurance solutions to property owners and offers tours and educational programs to preserve the history of Spotsylvania County.
National Park Service
Located in Spotsylvania County, VA, Oakley Farm is a historical landmark. It was built in the Federal/Georgian style by Samuel Alsop, Jr. in 1828. It was part of a larger working farm. The farm was recognized as a Tree Farm in 1988, and was named as a Clean Water Farm in 1999.
The 3,800 acre Oakley Farm was managed by the late George and Anne Woodcock. The couple promoted conservation efforts and served in leadership positions with many conservation organizations. The farm earned national recognition from the National Endowment for Soil and Water Conservation in 1990.
The 3,800 acre farm is located along State Route 612 (Catharpin and Pamunkey Roads), and State Route 608 (West Catharpin Road). The farm is managed by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
The park is home to a variety of wildlife. Visitors can find a wide range of bird species, including some migrant passerines. The swampy woods around Ruffins Pond are good for breeding warblers. There are also several rare species of geese. Up next is Chewning Park.
Driving directions from Elizabeth Shepard Realtor to Oakley Farm
Driving directions from Oakley Farm to Chewning Park